Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A very hard night...and day...

Last night around 10:00PM Liam spiked a fever of 104 and had a seizure. We had to take him to the International Clinic to be treated. Before we got to the hospital he was no longer seizing. They put him on IV fluids and took his blood. It showed nothing, so they did an X-Ray. Then they found that he had pneumonia. They kept him there for a few hours until he was feeling better. We got back to the hotel very early this morning.

Today went pretty well. We let him rest most all day. We took him back to the clinic for a follow up and the prognosis was good. The antibiotics seem to be working. But then a few hours later his fever hit 104.2 again. We immediately gave him Motrin and Tylenol and got it down quickly. He is acting better again. Hopefully he will kick this quickly!

We are very fortunate that one of the other families traveling with us is a doctor. He is taking good care of us!

Since Liam is so sick, we have halted our sight seeing plans to let him rest and get well before our return flight next Thursday. However, if he gets better over the next few days we might still go to mountains…but we will not go if he is still sick.

Dillon International (our adoption agency) has been great support through everything. We are so thankful to have worked with such a good agency. They have excellent staff here in Vietnam, and have taken very good care of us. Even our contact in Oklahoma has called us a few times to check in. We are so impressed!

Thanks again for all your encouraging comments! Please keep Liam in your prayers! We miss you all!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that he is doing better and that there is no damage from his seizure. I could imagine how scarry this was for the two of you. I will keep you all in my prayers.

Love, Sarah Blair

Anonymous said...

Oh guys! (I'm trying again.) Please please know that I am thinking of you and praying for you every day. I check your blog every morning for updates. Hang in there and I love you guys!
Erin L.

Anonymous said...

The poor little guy - and poor mommy and daddy. How scary. Fevers ARE scarry - and a seizer on top of that. I'm glad to hear that you are fore going the site seeing to give him time to recuperate. He's going through so much - and even tough all this is for his betterment, you don't know what he must be experiencing - all the change. Much like our spiritual walk - sometimes what seems so hard and difficult is really to get us to a better place. Praying for you all...knowing you are so anxious to be back home and with Aiden. Just keep your eyes on that wonderful day...it's coming! Love ya, Diana

Nikki said...

I am praying for you guys and esp for Liam. We were so worried all night about him, I am so glad to hear he is doing a bit better.

Anonymous said...

This is Carla from the Dillon forum. You didn't mention your own heart attack when he seized. I'm so sorry! Our son has had several febrile seizures so I know how horrifying they are. Maybe you already know these things, but I'm going to tell you what I would want to know in your shoes.
Simple (they stop on their own) febrile seizures are not dangerous. Generally you won't see more than one per illness, and it usually happens within the first 24 hours. The chances are overwhelming that Liam will never have another. Even if he does, they generally grow out of them by school age. We alternate tylenol and motrin every 3 hours as per our doc, and it sounds like you have that in hand. Sorry for all the unsolicited advice, but it's scary enough to go through that in your own house, much less so far away. I hope you are all feeling much better. Feel free to email me at carlaevans@hotmail.com if you want.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys...
I'm sorry to hear the news about Liam. I am glad to hear that he is doing so much better now though. I'm keeping you all in my prayers. I miss you both so much!
Chelsey

R&H said...

omg how scary! Poor baby and poor parents, what a terrible thing to have to go through in a forign country.Glad to hear he's doing better and that you have good people taking care of you all in Vietnam.